College & Career

College and Career Specialist - Sarah Bateman

E-Mail: Sarah Bateman
Book an appointment - Sarah Bateman

College and Career Center (CCC) - Student Services, 800 building, room #802

Florida Public Universities - 2020 Matrix 
Florida Private Colleges & Universities - 2020 Matrix
The Big 10 Universities - 2020 Matrix 

Recommendation Letters:
Do you need a letter from a School Counselor? - fill out the  Counselor Profile
Do you need a letter from a Teacher? - fill out the Teacher Profile

Resume Template - Resume Template

Looking for a nomination for to a U.S. Service Academy? 2020 Senator Rick Scott U.S. Service Academy Nominations.pdf
U.S. Service Academy FLYER.pdf

Frequently Asked Questions:

Should I take
Advanced Placement (AP) or Dual 
Enrollment (DE) courses?

There is no right or wrong, better or worse choice. Colleges are looking for well-rounded students that challenge themselves in their coursework - this includes AP and DE courses. Much consideration should be given to where you want to end up; out-of-state vs. in-state. It is best to contact the college you are applying to and ask their admissions office what they prefer. Please keep in mind, preferences may vary year to year.

What are the requirements for Dual Enrollment (DE) and how to I apply?
Go to our Dual Enrollment page.

When should I start taking the SAT/ACT?

Students should typically begin taking the SAT/ACT the Winter / early Spring of their Junior year.

When should I start looking for colleges and visiting them?
Students should start narrowing down their college choice the beginning of their Junior year and visiting them the following Spring. We suggest visiting the school while it is in session meeting with an admissions counselor. 

When should I start applying to college?
Colleges say the sooner you apply your senior year the better chance you have at being admitted. Please keep in mind when applications open and their deadlines. Many schools accept early admissions applications beginning August 1st of your Senior year.

How do I get a recommendation from a teacher or counselor?
Recommendation letters should be requested from teachers and counselors two weeks prior to an application deadline. To assist the teacher(s) and counselor in writing the best possible recommendation, Counselor and Teacher Profiles are available in Student Services. As soon as the Counselor and/or Teacher Profile is completed, be sure to make copies for every recommender as well as for your records and deliver it to each recommender.

How can I get a copy of my transcript or send it to a college?
Transcripts can be ordered from the front desk in Student Services (Guidance office - 800 building). Electronic transcript requests* are free, hard copy transcript requests are $2.00 each; cash not accepted, must pay thru School Pay @ (must present your digital receipt with your transcript request form).
*Electronic transcript requests can ONLY be sent to Florida Public Colleges/Universities (free of charge)
We suggest sending a hard copy transcript in addition to an electronic transcript to ensure the school receives it.
Visit the WOHS Transcript Request page

How do I get my SAT/ACT scores to the college/university I am applying to?
Colleges require official scores be sent directly from CollegeBoard or ACT. This can be done by logging into your CollegeBoard/ACT account and requesting your scores to be sent to the colleges/universities of your choice.

Where can I find scholarships and when should I start applying?
There are many websites with scholarship information. You can start with our School Website, under Student Services, then Scholarships. You can also utilize Naviance through your LaunchPad account, QuestBridge,,, and You should apply for scholarships as soon as they are available and you are eligible.

What is FAFSA?
ALL seniors need to apply for this!
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that can be prepared annually by current and prospective college students in the United States to determine their eligibility for financial aid. Although you may feel that you do not qualify for financial aid, many grants, scholarships, and schools require the FAFSA to be be completed. FAFSA information and application

What is Bright Futures?
Bright Futures is the name of the scholarship program in the state of Florida. It is funded by the Florida Lottery and was first started in 1997. Bright Futures awards scholarships to all students who meet minimum academic requirements regardless of financial need. Bright Futures information and application

How do I get help deciding on what career I want to go into?
There are many resources to help you decide what you want to do after high school and what to do to achieve your goals. Some resources we recommend are:

Naviance is a new tool you can utilize through your LaunchPad account. It includes a career and strengths interest inventory to help you find careers you may be interested in, as well as a college match search to help you find the right school for you. Once you log into, click on the Naviance app, then My Planner and Tasks Assignment to Me.